Street Sweeping – Caveat Emptor (Let The Buyer Beware)
No one likes to be taken advantage of. However, in the case of street sweeping, it’s hard to know.
There is an old proverb that states, The buyer needs a hundred eyes, the seller but one.
The first time I heard that quote, I thought, “how cynical, does one have to protect themselves in all transactions? What has happened to trust!”.
Over time, however, this has grown to be one of my favorite quotes, simply because it explains the importance of due diligence before you make an important (and potentially expensive) decision.
In fact, I think every potential purchaser of property maintenance and sweeping services would do well to read this quote, understand it and start applying it to evaluating potential service providers.
Street sweeping – What Do You Know?
Here’s a quick quiz…
Question 1: True or false, An individual needs to be trained, I-9 compliant, have a clean driving record and be screened for drugs drive a street sweeping vehicle.
Question 2: True or false, Street sweeping vehicles that are less than 5 years old provide more thorough cleaning and are more environmentally friendly.
Question 3: True or false, Tracking sweeping patterns by satellite is the most efficient way to provide thorough street and parking lot cleaning.
If you answered “true” to at least two of these questions, give yourself a pat on the back – you know quite a bit about street sweeping. However, if you got even one wrong, then there’s still more for you to learn.
Fortunately, you’re about to learn everything you need to know about how to compare effective street sweeper providers with this article.
So roll up your sleeves, put on your thinking cap, and let’s look at important criteria when comparing apples to apples for street sweeping services.
Street Sweeping Employees
Although it appears to be a simple task to jump into the cab of a street sweeper and drive straight, there’s more to it:
- Are driver screened: Drug and Driver Record?
- Are drivers I-9 (Citizenship) Compliant?
- Are drivers trained on the specific needs of your project?
Street Sweeping Management & Supervision
- Is there a Supervisor on every shift?
- Is an Account Manager dedicated to your needs?
- Does the company have a Scheduling and Quality Control Manager?
Street Sweeping Equipment
- Does the provider have spare equipment ready to be deployed?
- Are all onsite vehicles clearly labeled with logos?
- Does the provider have a wide range of equipment for all needs?
Street Sweeping Technology
- Are there GPS Tracking devices on all trucks?
- Do the trucks have Digital Cameras installed?
- Are the drivers using 2-Way Radios for fast communication?
- Are the sweeping patterns tracked by satellite?
Street Sweeping Risk Management
- Are they NAPSA Certified Sweeping?
- Are they affiliated with an industry partner such as 1-800 SWEEPER?
- Do they have less than 5 Million Umbrella insurance?
- Is their Worker’s Comp/Liability up to date?
Street Sweeping Company
- Does the provider wash the area so the cleaning truck functions at the highest level?
- Does the provider have Certified Mechanics In-House?
- Does the provider’s company have a full office staff to support relationship needs?
Now you know how to compare apples to apples regarding street sweeping providers.
However, before I wrap up this article, let me share with you some additional services that you may need when maintaining your streets, parking lots or garages:
- Line Striping
- Seal Coating
- Pavement Repair
- Power Washing
To get the best results, you’ll want to choose a street sweeping company that has what you need, when you need it.
Go ahead and compare apples to apple – I think you’ll like your results!
For your convenience, we’ve put together a one-page checklist to make your comparison quick, easy and thorough. Just click this link – Comparing Apples to Apple Checklist
Have additional questions, please call us at 732-886-1940. We enjoy being compared to other provers of street sweeping.